Miami Beach Embraces and Entertains LGBT Travelers with Host of Events
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. – Celebrated as an international LGBT-friendly destination for travelers across the globe, Miami Beach is enticing guests to experience the beauty and liveliness of the city with a packed calendar of events during the month of April. From Miami Beach Gay Pride and MiFo LGBT Film Festival, to the vibrant year-round offerings from proud restaurants and hotels, Miami Beach is gearing up for a colorful month.
“Miami Beach fosters an inclusive community and embraces visitors from all walks of life, as demonstrated by our Travvy Award for Best LGBTQ Destination earlier this year,” says Peggy Benua, Chair of the Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority (MBVCA). “An acclaimed haven for the LGBT community, Miami Beach is like no other place in the world.”
Welcoming visitors from around the world, Miami Beach Gay Pride is one of the most festive celebrations of its kind. The annual week-long festival is taking over the city from April 3-10, bringing together members of the LGBT community and their allies. This year, in a show of solidarity, Miami Beach will be paying tribute to the victims, families and friends of the PULSE Nightclub shooting by orchestrating “Pride Lights the Night”. Buildings, retail locations, and homes throughout the Miami Beach area will light up awash in the colors of the Pride rainbow flag.
On April 9, with Ross Mathews as its celebrity Grand Marshall, The Pride Parade, drawing more than 130,000 participants each year, will travel along Ocean Drive. The fun doesn’t end after the final float is gone; from Friday, April 21 to Sunday, April 30, the MiFo LGBT Film Festival continues the party and returns to Miami Beach. Guests can catch special screenings of films dedicated to diversity in cinema, offering contemporary perspectives on the LGBT experience, playing at the Regal Cinemas South Beach.
In addition to the exciting annual events, there are many mainstay LGBT-friendly activities year-round, including BRUNCHIC at the spectacular Palace South Beach. Every Sunday, both visitors and locals enjoy delicious food, bottomless mimosas, and the lively Drag Brunch performances that the Palace is famous for. The center of gay nightlife in Miami Beach for over 20 years, Twist South Beach offers Ladies Happy Hour and nightly dance parties, a popular “must-do” experience. For accommodations, Hôtel Gaythering, Miami Beach’s premier hotel catering to the gay traveler, is a top choice.
“Miami Beach is a world-renowned travel destination for the LGBT community”, says Grisette Roque, Executive Director of the MBVCA. “The city strives to ensure guests and residents feel secure and entertained in our beautiful city with programs such as ‘The Hub’ LGBT Visitor Center and the newly launched safe-space initiative. Miami Beach remains a leading example for LGBT inclusiveness.”
Must-Do April LGBT Events Include:
Since 2009, Miami Beach Gay Pride has brought together the LGBT community and allies by organizing free events open to all. Main attractions this year include:
- Rainbow Flag Raising Ceremony, April 3: Join city officials and Miami Beach Gay Pride Board members to officially kick off the “Week of Pride”.
- Miss Miami Beach Gay Pride Pageant & Silent Auction, April 3: More than just a pageant, the event is a fundraiser to help benefit the local LGBT community and youth.
- A Different TWIST on Fun: Ladies Happy Hour, April 6: Twist South Beach isn’t only for the boys! Ladies take over on April 6th from 8-11 p.m. for a special women’s happy hour with drink specials, prizes, entertainment, and much more!
- Miami Beach Gay Pride Parade and Festival, April 9: Celebrity parade marshals include Ross Matthews and “Uncle” Johnny Pool from Elvis Duran and The Morning Show. Miami Beach will also host a two-day, free beach party festival with international DJs, exhibitors, community booths, family fun zone, food vendors and cash bars. This year, the Miami Beach Pride Festival will feature fireworks and a surprise performance tribute to Prince.
The largest LGBT cultural arts event in South Florida, the MiFo LGBT Film Festival will be hosting events across Miami Beach from April 21-30. Highlights include multiple film showings at Regal Cinemas South Beach and specialty events like:
- Spotlight Party at Yuca Miami Beach, April 22
- Centerpiece Party at Britto Central, April 26
- Closing Night Party at Bacaro Miami, April 29
An integral part of Miami Beach’s LGBT scene, the Palace’s top events this month include:
- Annual Rock the Block Free Block Party, April 9: Hosted by Missy Meyakie Lepaige and Joanna James, the annual block party is celebrating Miami Beach Gay Pride with Danny Verde and DJ Carlos Rojas. Guests with reservations can watch the Pride Parade right on Ocean Drive at the center of all the action.
- BRUNCHIC: Reoccurring every Sunday, enjoy entertainment fit for a queen while sipping on bottomless mimosas and feasting on brunch fare.
The epicenter of LGBT activity in South Beach, “The Hub” offers weekly support groups, special workshops and an array of social events year-round open to all:
- Gay Chamber Spotlight Mega-Mixer Benefitting Miami Beach Gay Pride, April 4: A special Miami Beach Gay Pride edition of the bi-monthly Spotlight Mega-Mixer event hosted by the Miami-Dade Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce at the Shore Club South Beach. Kick off Pride celebrations by mingling and networking with over 200 Chamber members and guests.
- INVISIBLE, April 14 – May 31: An exhibit presented at “The Hub” consisting of portraits and written testimonials of participants from Warrior of Hope and I Still Remember, both projects aimed at raising awareness on HIV/AIDS and pressing social issues in society.
About Miami Beach Visitor & Convention Authority
The MBVCA is a seven member authority, appointed by the City of Miami Beach Commission, with the goal of encouraging, developing and promoting the image of Miami Beach locally, nationally and internationally as a vibrant community and superb tourist destination. To this end, the MBVCA strategically focuses its funding investments in a balanced manner, fostering outstanding existing programs, stimulating new activities, and encouraging partnerships. The MBVCA is committed to a careful, long-term plan for allocation of resources to build the uniqueness of Miami Beach as ones of the world's greatest communities and tourism destinations.